Citizenship is brushed to castes
with color-coded schemes dividing
cleaving chasms in gentrified suburbia.
Still crying crayons bleed in murals
and concrete blooms as we paint offenses
or doodle poems with defensive pens.
But soon the cleaning crew in overalls
march carefully restoring concrete grey
as they cannot invoice sense in poetry.
Today Claudia runs the bar at dVerse MTB, and this is the technique we should use today..
1. Fold a sheet of paper in half
2. On the left half of the page, list 10 nouns
3. Think of a career or occupation choice.
4. On the right half of the page, write 10 verbs that correspond to that position.
5. Open the paper and connect each of the nouns with a verb.
6. Using any of those combinations, write a 3 stanza poem, 3 lines per stanza – or more
I used three pairs of words that came up. Brush – Citizenship, paint offense, invoice sense…
Come meet us as bar opens at 3 PM EST.
February 4, 2015